CeSMA - Smart electromechanical materials for research and industry #
The Center Smart Materials and Adaptive Systems CeSMA investigates innovative approaches to realize controllable systems and technological components by means of smart materials. Sensors and actuators, energy harvesters and Human-Machine Interfaces, mechatronic systems such as controllable dampers, clutches, brakes and fixture devices, smart textiles, optoelectronic systems and optical interconnection systems, as well as display technologies and electronic components represent the fields of activities.
We have built up different competences in order to provide the requested knowledge to customers and partners:
- Strong knowledge in smart materials – from synthesis, formulation to chemical analysis and characterization
- Processing using 2D and 3D technologies, structuring in the range from < 1 µm and large-area processing using Roll-to-Roll technology
- Simulation and Modelling of technological components designed and constructed according to customer requirements
- Set-up of technological components in order to leverage the potential of smart materials
- Integration of technological components into systems including hardware and software engineering, data transfer and interaction with state-of-the-art components.
The objective of our work is the realization of smart components that exploit excellent properties of novel smart materials. This is enabled by a unique interaction between chemists, physicists and electrical, mechanical and materials engineers in the team.
In this way, we develop completely new types of functional elements, taking into account environmental and end-of-life aspects (recycling).